Apartment Housing Move-in Guide


As noted in your housing contract, IU does not assume any financial responsibility for the personal property of students or large-scale unintentional damage that students cause to housing property. We strongly encourage residents to obtain renters insurance prior to moving on campus.

You may purchase renters insurance through any provider. IU has partnered with GradGuard to make their renters insurance plan available at preferred rates. Please visit the GradGuard website if you have any questions about coverage, pricing and exclusions.

Move-in Day

Unfurnished on-campus apartments will be available beginning August 1, 2020, for 12-month contracts, or August 19, 2020, for 10-month contracts. Office hours are 8 a.m.–9 p.m. If you'll arrive outside of these hours, please contact your office to make arrangements. You may move in early if your apartment is ready. Please contact your apartment's office to discuss this possibility and the additional costs.

Parking will be available in the lots adjacent to the buildings. CH enforcement will begin on Monday, August 24 and in ST purple, white and blue lots enforcement will begin on Tuesday, September 8.

When you arrive on campus, please go directly to the office assigned to your apartment complex.

Assigned Apartment Office Locations

If you're living in Banta and Nutt or Campus View, go to:

Campus View
Room 101
800 North Union St.
Bloomington, IN 47408

If You're living in Evermann or Redbud, go to:

Room 124
2001 East Lingelbach Ln.
Bloomington, IN 47408

If you're living in 3rd & Union, Tulip Tree, or University, go to:

Tulip Tree
Room 108
2451 East Tenth St.
Bloomington, IN 47408

Moving Tips

3rd & Union, Campus View, and Tulip Tree apartments have elevators. A few carts are available—free of charge—during move-in. We have a limited number of carts available. Bringing a cart or dolly is recommended.

You cannot move in belongings before you arrive and formally check in to your apartment. If you order your furniture online, please schedule it to arrive on or after the day you move in. We will not give a key to a moving company and they may not reserve elevators. We will make an exception for rental furniture. Arrangements must be made in advance of the scheduled delivery with your apartment's office.

The Packing List

To protect the health and safety of everyone, we cannot permit some items in the buildings. These lists of necessary, optional and prohibited items will help you determine what you need to leave at home.

Please note that all electrical appliances must be:

  • Equipped with thermostatic controls, when appropriate
  • Rated at 700 watts (6 amps), or less
  • Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed

More information about university safety policies and Indiana Codes is available from the Office of Insurance, Loss Control & Claims.

  • Cleaning
  • Computer
  • Dishes and Cutlery *
  • Electric Fan *
  • Extension cords and surge strips and protectors with LCDI technology, such as Fire Shield® *
  • Flashlight
  • Furniture
  • Linens
  • Microwave *
  • Pots and Pans *
  • Radio, TV, DVD Player, CD Player, iPod/iPad dock
  • Streaming Devices (WiFi is available at 3rd & Union, Campus View, and Tulip Tree)
  • Supplies

  • Candles
  • Combustible liquids
  • Drones
  • Electric open-coil heaters, or any appliance with exposed burners
  • Firearms, BB guns, paintball guns, pellet guns, sling shots, and weapons
  • Fireworks
  • Halogen lights and lamps
  • Hoverboards
  • Incense and incense burners
  • Pets (fish are the only pets permitted)
  • Portable washers, dryers, and dishwashers
  • Smoking devices (i.e., cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes, hookahs, pipes, vapes)
  • Sunlamps

Decorating Your Apartment

These modification guidelines comply with current safety, fire, and maintenance policies. We recommend that roommates talk about decorating and arranging the space before either makes any changes.

Proposed changes must be submitted in writing to the housing manager of your apartment complex and approved before making any changes.

  • All window treatments (draperies or blinds) provided are flame retardant and should not be replaced or modified without prior authorization.
  • Area rugs for non-carpeted apartments must have a flame spread rating and smoke-contribution rating of 200 or less. Commercial carpet should be tagged or marked with this information.
  • Furniture must not obstruct doors or windows at any time. Doors and windows must be accessible and operational at all times as a means of exit or entry, especially in emergency situations.
  • Furniture or other items may not be attached to or supported by walls, existing fixtures.
  • Highly flammable decorative materials (i.e., fishnets, curtains, paper) cannot be used.
  • Only authorized university employees may make changes to the electrical system and wiring in the residence halls.
  • Painting is not permitted.
  • Residents are responsible for restoring the apartment to its original, acceptable condition when moving out of the apartment.