A to Z Guide to Res. Hall and Furnished Apartment Living

Information to make your life easier

This is a comprehensive guide to living in the residence halls and Union Street Center. Everything you need to know about your room, community services, academic services, and safety and security is here.

Your Room

RPS administration reserves the right to move a resident from his/her room assignment to another assignment if it is believed the resident poses an imminent threat of physical or emotional harm to an individual, physical harm to property, or a significant threat to the stability of the community. In most cases, this move will be made pending a conduct hearing.

Also, residents of Learning Communities can be administratively moved to another assignment if they fail to meet specific expectations of their community, including failing to enroll in and successfully complete academic coursework required for participation in certain Learning Communities.

Student rooms and furnishings must be returned to their original condition before you move out. Only university contractors or staff may move or reposition beds. If a room requires restoration or repair before it can be assigned to another student, the cost of this work will be billed to the immediate past resident(s) of the room. The work may include painting, repair to walls and ceilings, and the repair or replacement of room furnishings.

To minimize room damage:

  • Before moving out, follow all move-out procedures provided by your residence hall, which may include a room inspection by staff. End of semester check-out procedures may be received through email or at closing meetings hosted by each RA. If a resident fails to check out properly, they accept any charges incurred and forfeits the right to appeal. Center management will make a final determination of any charges. 
  • Carefully examine your assigned room when moving in. When checking in, you will receive a Room Condition Report (RCR) form. Complete and return the form as directed by your residence hall staff. If a resident fails to return their RCR, they forfeit the right to appeal, accepting any charges incurred at move-out.
  • Report all room damages or needed repairs at the center desk immediately.
  • Residents are responsible for keeping the room safe and sanitary. Deteriorated conditions in the room or its furnishings should immediately be reported to the center desk.
  • Residents will be held financially responsible for all damage to the room and furnishings they were assigned. University disciplinary action may also be taken.

During the spring and fall, it may be difficult to regulate heating and cooling consistently in most residence halls. Briscoe, Eigenmann, Forest, Foster, McNutt, Read, Spruce, Teter, Union Street Center, Wells, and Willkie have thermostats in student rooms and apartments, but the other buildings do not. Ashton has window air conditioners in student rooms.

All window units should not be operated when outside temperatures fall below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, which helps prevent damage to the units. Additionally, windows should be closed when air conditioners are running. Keeping windows closed reduces moisture in the room. The heat and cool cannot be switched back and forth in the buildings. The heating and cooling systems will switch according to the calendar and long-range weather forecast.

In cold weather, take care to avoid causing the heating unit or radiator to freeze. Units should not be turned off, and windows should not be left open for prolonged periods of time. Students may be held accountable for damaged heating/cooling units.

Students should not block the units in their rooms. Blocking units will disrupt proper airflow.

The filters in these units are changed according to a schedule.

RPS wants all residents to feel comfortable and to personalize their residence hall space, but we also want everyone in the residence halls to be safe. These room modification guidelines ensure the safety of all students.

  • All furniture provided by the university in your room or apartment must stay in your room or apartment.
  • All provided window treatments (blinds or draperies) are flame retardant and should not be replaced or modified.
  • Carpeting must have a flame-spread rating and smoke-contribution rating which complies with the Indiana Fire Code. Commercial carpet should be tagged or marked with this information.
  • Beds may only be moved or repositioned by a university contractor. This service is provided for a fee that is shared by the roommates. All roommates must agree to a specific arrangement before the work can be done.
  • Decorative lights are not to be hung over windows, near curtains or other fabrics.
  • Furniture must not obstruct doors or windows at any time. Doors and windows must be accessible and operational at all times to be used as a means of exit or entry, especially in emergency situations.
  • Furniture or other items may not be attached to or supported by walls, existing fixtures, or furniture in your room. Beds may be reconfigured by emailing Housing Assignments at askrps@indiana.edu.
  • Hanging lights, sheets, or other objects from the ceiling is not permitted.
  • Highly flammable decorative materials (e.g., curtains, fishnets, or paper) cannot be used. 
  • Only authorized university employees may make changes to the electrical system and wiring in the residence halls.
  • Painting is not permitted.
  • You are responsible for restoring your room to its original, acceptable condition when you move out (furniture does not have to be set back up in its original configuration). You are responsible for removing all wall décor or adhesives. Damage fees may be assessed if room or walls are not restored to its original, acceptable conditions.
  • Your proposed changes must be submitted in writing to the residence manager of your residence hall and approved before any changes are made.

RPS has professional licensed pest control services available. These state-licensed specialists are available to respond to any unexpected problems with insects and other pests. If you encounter a problem, do not attempt to deal with the problem yourself. Please notify your center desk or the staff member on duty.

The right of individuals to be secure in their persons, living quarters, papers, and effects against unreasonable search and seizure is constitutionally guaranteed and extends to students in the academic community. No provision in the housing contract gives residence hall officials the authority to consent to a search of a resident's room or apartment by police or other government officials.

There are circumstances in which authorized persons using the approved procedures outlined below may enter a residential room or apartment. These special cases include law enforcement, custodial services, health and safety inspections, room repair and maintenance, emergency situations, and probable cause searches:

  • Any law enforcement agency having jurisdiction may, in performing its statutory duties, conduct a search by legally defined procedures governing search and seizure.
  • Authorized University custodial personnel may enter residents' rooms or apartments to perform the routine custodial services provided as a part of a housing contract.
  • Authorized University personnel performing health and safety inspections may enter a room or apartment to ensure all fire, health, and safety regulations are being followed. Whenever possible, residents will be given at least 24-hour notice of these inspections.
  • Authorized University maintenance personnel may enter a room to make improvements or repairs, to provide routine maintenance services, and to recover university-owned property. Whenever possible, residents will be given at least 24-hour notice of these inspections.
  • Authorized University personnel responding to an emergency may enter a room or apartment to protect a resident's health and welfare or to make emergency repairs to prevent property damage.
  • Authorized University officials may enter a room or apartment when there is probable cause to believe violations of university or civil regulations are being committed, and a delay in procuring a search warrant would endanger the health and safety of the residents, or result in the probable destruction of evidence. Probable cause means having reasonable grounds for suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a cautious person's belief that a party is committing an illegal act.
  • Other members of the university staff may enter student rooms under the conditions described in the Indiana University Residence Hall Housing Contract.

When the room(s) to be searched are occupied, probable cause searches will follow these guidelines:

  • No student room or apartment shall be entered without knocking, whether the door is locked, unlocked, or ajar.
  • The university official will identify himself or herself and state why the entry is desired. If the door is closed, the official will then request the door be opened.
  • If the door is not opened or the official is refused entry:
    • The official will knock again and restate personal identification and the reason the entry is desired.
    • State the intention to use a key, card, or code to enter if the door is not opened.
    • Wait at least two minutes to allow the occupant(s) sufficient time to awaken, dress, or to make a rational decision whether to allow entrance to the room or apartment and then, if necessary, use a key, card, or code to enter.
    • State again, upon entering the room or apartment, the purpose of the entry or search, the fact that it is being conducted by probable cause, and the identity of the specific objects being sought.
  • When authorized university personnel or their agents must enter a student's room or apartment when no occupants are present, two staff members should be present, if possible. Students will be notified of such entries and the reasons for them upon their return. In all instances, such entries shall be made only for the purposes listed above and In the contract.

Probable cause searches of resident rooms will follow these guidelines:

  • Residence hall staff will notify IUPD where there is probable cause to believe violations of university or civil rights regulations are being committed.
  • No student room or apartment shall be entered without knocking, whether the door is locked, unlocked, or ajar.
  • The university official will identify themselves and state why the entry is desired. If the door is closed, the official will then request the door be opened.
  • If the door is not opened or the official is refused entry, the official will knock again and restate personal identification and the reason entry is desired.
  • State the intention to use a key, card, or code to enter if the door is not opened.
  • State again, upon entering the room or apartment, the purpose of the entry or search, the fact that it is being conducted by probable cause, and the identity of the specific objects being sought.

The items below apply whether or not the room or apartment to be searched is occupied at the time of the search.

  • Only items specifically prohibited or that pose an immediate danger to the health and safety of the residents will be removed from a student's room without the express permission of the owner.
  • The university official conducting the search is free to seize illegal materials in "plain view." However, the extent of the search must be in keeping with the factual information upon which the probable cause for the search is founded. If an extensive search is required (i.e., opening all drawers, luggage, and locked boxes) and the student has not given permission, a search warrant may be obtained. All evidence seized during searches complying with the above regulations may be used in university disciplinary hearings for violations of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct. Evidence seized in violation of the search standards may not be used. A student who believes this policy has been violated should report the incident to the Office of the Dean of Students.

When authorized university personnel or their agents must enter a student's room or apartment when no occupants are present, and two staff members should be present, if possible. Students will be notified of such entries and the reasons for them upon their return. In all instances, such entries shall be made only for purposes listed above and in the contract.

Due to space and safety limitations, the residence halls do not provide storage. The only space available will be your room.

Window screens must be secured at all times. You may be charged for the replacement of damaged, missing, removed, or unfastened window screens from your room.

Union Street Center

Anyone 21 years of age or older may consume alcohol in their apartment. No one under 21 can consume alcohol anywhere in the complex. Consuming alcohol is never allowed in the public areas of the complex, regardless of age. Refer to Indiana University Residence Hall Rules and Regulations at the end of this booklet for more information.

The entry doors to Cedar will be unlocked when the center desk is open. The entries to the other buildings will always be locked. Residents may enter any building at any time by swiping their IU ID card through a reader on the exterior doors. Residents in Cedar will have to swipe their card in a reader to access residential floors from the elevators and stairwells.

Apartment entry doors will also be operated by a card reader. Locks on doors within an apartment will have a keypad requiring a three-, four- or five-digit code. It is possible to set these doors to remain unlocked when the door is closed. Residents will receive their code at check in.

Union Street Center offers a cleaning service each semester for those residents who wish to have our cleaning crew clean their bathroom. Our staff will thoroughly scrub and sanitize the entire bathroom twice a month at a cost of $35 per bathroom per month. These non-refundable charges will be divided among residents of the apartment and billed to each resident's bursar account at the end of each semester. Inquire at the center desk for this service.

Most of the time, a plunger will open a stopped drain. Please do not try to clear a clogged drain with drain-cleaning chemicals. Members of our plumbing staff have been injured by these chemicals. Inform the staff if you have used a chemical drain cleaner and leave a note by the sink informing the plumbers a chemical has been used in the drain.

You are responsible for the proper care of the appliances and equipment in the apartment. All apartments are equipped with window coverings, which are flame retardant and should not be replaced or modified without prior authorization. No appliances or equipment may be removed from the apartment for storage or other purposes unless authorized in writing by the manager. Due to the potential for property damage, water beds are not permitted in the apartments.

When using the garbage disposal, leave the water on for 10–15 seconds after the grinding has ended to flush the drain. Do not place grease or hard fibrous waste (e.g., banana peels, bones, celery, corn husks, fruit pits, pea pods) in the disposal. The disposal should be run at least once a week to prevent a clogged drain.

  • Always turn the stove top and oven off when not in use and when no one is in the apartment. 
  • Maintain the stove and microwave by wiping up spills as they occur and cleaning regularly.
  • Never leave cooking food unattended.
  • Never use the stove, oven, or microwave as additional storage space.

Each apartment is equipped with one digital thermostat. Residents can adjust the fan speed.

Authorized university personnel may periodically conduct health and safety inspections of apartments. These inspections are done to keep the buildings free from fire hazards and pest infestations, and to survey maintenance needs. Repeated violations will be referred for judicial action.

Notifications will be sent to your IUB email account at least three days before the scheduled inspection. Upon request, staff will work with you to make an appointment to perform the inspection.

RPS has staff available to respond to apartment housing needs. Please report all problems to the center desk as soon as they become apparent. After-hours emergencies (i.e., loss of water, heat, or electricity) or anything posing a safety or security risk (including electrical hazards, flooding, clogged toilets, or broken glass) should be reported to the center desk.

Other concerns or questions about issues, such as pest control and the condition of equipment and appliances, should be directed to the center desk during business hours.

Residents are responsible for bagging trash and placing it into the appropriate trash room on the first floor of the building. Please do not leave bags or any other trash in hallways, stairwells, or on the ground. Burning trash is prohibited.

If you have a medical condition requiring the use of hypodermic needles, do not dispose of the needles in the trash. The center desk can provide you a Sharps container for disposal of the needles. Return the full container to the center desk for disposal.

The washers in these apartments are front loading and operate differently than traditional machines. Please read the instructions in your apartment before using.

Academic Support Services

Residence halls are host to many academic classes. Check out the halls with your Academic Advisor or on One.IU. With the exceptions of Eigenmann and Wells, all residence halls have one or more classrooms where more than 500 credit-bearing, university classes are taught during the academic year. Most classes are introductory courses meeting academic requirements for first-year students.

Residential fellows are faculty, staff, and community members who volunteer their time, friendship, and support to students in the learning communities. Their involvement ranges from meeting students over meals to participating in formal and informal programs, to advising and mentoring students in the community.

Community Living and Services

Bicycles are a great way to get around campus. After all, IU is famous for the Little 500! But if you have a bike, please remember to park in bike racks around the residence halls. Bikes may not be kept in hallways, stairways, or public areas inside the residence halls. If you choose to store your bicycle in your room or apartment, bicycle storage equipment must not damage residence hall property. All bicycles must be legally parked, registered with the university, and display a valid permit, or they can be confiscated. Call Parking Operations at 812-855-9848 for more information.

You will find a center desk at each residence hall and apartment complex where staff members provide information and several services to residence hall students. During the academic year when classes are in session, center desk hours are 8 a.m.–midnight on weekdays and 10 a.m.–midnight on weekends. Services and information available at each center desk may include:

  • Campus mail
  • Contacting staff
  • Event registration information
  • Maintenance requests
  • Parcel and mail delivery
  • Temporary room access
  • Vacuums, games, and gaming equipment check-out

This is the group name for custodial service in your residence hall. Service is provided seven days a week. The staff is primarily responsible for maintaining the public areas of the buildings. This includes entries, hallways, laundries, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, stairwells, and some other areas. Residents are responsible for cleaning their rooms. As members of the residence hall community, everyone shares responsibility for keeping the buildings in good condition.

The communal restrooms are cleaned regularly by the Environmental Operations staff. This includes disinfecting all surfaces. RPS provides different restroom cleaning services for private restrooms. Briscoe, Read, and Spruce are cleaned once per week at no charge. Cleaning service is available twice per month for an additional cost at Union Street Center and Willkie.

Briscoe private and semi-private custodial service is provided weekly. Toilet paper is also provided, but cleaning supplies are not.

  • Read semi-private (Johnette): Custodial service is provided. Toilet paper and cleaning supplies are provided.
  • Spruce private: Free custodial service is provided weekly. Toilet paper is also provided. Cleaning supplies are not.
  • Willkie semi-private and private: Custodial service is available twice a month for a $15 charge. Contact the center desk for more information. Mops and sweepers are available. Toilet paper is not provided.

You are welcome to use the kitchenettes located throughout most residence halls to personally prepare your meals and snacks. So these kitchenettes may be enjoyed by all, residents are expected to clean up after cooking. Residents or communities who do not comply with this expectation may lose their right to use cooking facilities and may be subject to university disciplinary action.

A Residence Halls Association (RHA) Student Conduct Board exists in every residence hall. There is also a centralized RHA Judicial Board. These student peer groups decide responsibility and action plans for residents who violate IU or residence hall rules and regulations. Contact your residence hall's center desk for more information. Some cases are conducted by a conduct officer instead of the C-Board.

Laundry rooms are in the basements of most residential buildings. All washers and dryers in the residence halls are operated by card readers. You may use your CrimsonCard to activate the machines.

Report any mechanical problems with washers or dryers to the center desk, where staff members can help you request refund money from the vendor when appropriate. If clothes are damaged during washing or drying, report the situation to your center desk, where staff members will contact the vendor. The vendor will then contact you regarding restitution. If a card reader is not working properly, contact email crimsoncard@iu.edu or call at 317-874-0400.

Some residence centers include the cost of laundry in the room rate. Please follow instructions provided to you at check-in to operate washers and dryers.

If the care instructions on your comforter indicate that it can be safely placed in the washer and dryer, you can use the machines in your residence hall to clean it. Set the dryer on low heat. Remove and reposition your comforter every 10 minutes so it dries evenly and the dryer doesn’t overheat.

Residents are expected to be responsible for their key cards and/or keys, including university IDs, at all times. Residence hall staff will assist a student with room entry when the resident loses or forgets his or her key card and/or keys. However, four or more lockouts per academic year constitutes abuse of this policy and will initiate a meeting with residence management staff to discuss the apparent disregard for the key card and key policy.

Continued abuse of the policy can also result in student conduct charges in addition to the financial charges that can also be imposed after the first lockout per semester.


After Hours Access$10
Lock Changes$200
First incident – Key or CrimsonCardNo charge
Second incident – CrimsonCard$10
Third incident – Key or CrimsonCard$25
Fourth incident – Key or CrimsonCard$50 + conduct meeting
Fifth incident – Key or CrimsonCard$75 per occurrence

If you lose something, report it to the center desk. All found items should be turned in at the center desk, which will keep them for 30 days. Some dining halls also have their own lost and found.

Other campus Lost & Found offices are located at Ballantine HaIl (812-855-7372), the Indiana Memorial Union (812-856-6381), and the Jacobs School of Music (812-855-1613). After 30 days, lost items will be considered abandoned.

Even though the maintenance staff provides routine and preventive service, unforeseeable problems do happen. Don't try to make repairs yourself. Report any maintenance problems in your room or public areas to your center desk or via email. Email addresses for all buildings are available online. If the problem is an emergency occurring after the center desk has closed, contact the center desk via phone. On-call staff answers the center desk phones 24 hours a day when school is in session. When a maintenance problem poses a danger to residents or the risk of property damage, emergency maintenance will be contacted immediately to repair it. All other types of maintenance problems will be taken care of on a priority basis.

Student Government: Candidates for student government office may, subject to residence hall election codes, campaign in the residence halls. Policies concerning campaign activities are available at 812-855-1764.

Public Offices: Center Management will develop policies concerning political campaigning by candidates for public office and similar activities providing reasonable access to residential communities. Some general statements regarding political activity in the residence halls follow:

  • Candidates, registrars, and their representatives should contact the Residence Manager for information concerning policies and procedures in an individual residence hall. Get additional information from the Assistant Director for Student Involvement and the Residence Halls Association.
  • Legitimate candidates, registrars, pollsters, and their representatives have the right to campaign door-to-door, subject to registration with Center Management.
  • The student residence hall communities have the authority through Center Management to establish reasonable conditions under which campaigning and related activity may occur.

RHA is the student government body of the residence halls. All undergraduate students living in the residence halls are members of RHA. As a member, each resident pays an activity fee to RHA and is entitled to apply for RHA leadership and employment positions. RHA has executive, legislative, and judicial branches at both the campus and individual residence hall levels. Hundreds of leadership positions are available. For more information, contact the center desk or your residence center email account, or visit student government office at your residence hall, or visit the RHA website.

The daily management of each residence hall is the responsibility of the managers, assistant managers, coordinators, and graduate supervisorswho supervise the staff and direct the business operations. They promote community responsibility by maintaining ongoing contact with residents to deal with behavioral problems and to stay informed of residents' views, needs, and issues. They also serve as liaisons between the residents and the RPS administrative staff.

Resident Assistants are sophomores, juniors, seniors, or graduate students who live with students in the communities to which they are assigned.

RA responsibilities include:

  • Assisting residents to improve study techniques and personal problem-solving skills.
  • Familiarizing students with and enforcing university policies and regulations.
  • Helping residents maintain an environment conducive to learning.
  • Knowing each resident.
  • Mediating conflicts between residents.
  • Serving as resource persons.

Students who wish to move fewer things to campus in August may ship items directly to their assigned residence hall.

Please arrange for your items to arrive on or after the following dates:

  • International Students: August 9
  • Domestic Students: August 13

All packages (regardless of time of year) shipped via USPS, UPS, FedEx, Amazon, DHL, etc. must include your campus mailing address as outlined below:

Resident's full name:Jaylen Smith
Resident's assigned building and room number:Union Street Center, Cedar Hall, Apt. 23
Street address of assigned residence hall445 N. Union Street
Bloomington, IN 47406

Residential Life staff at the Front Desks are not authorized to give the package to a resident unless the mailing address is listed in the above format, and are required to Return to Sender if not appropriately labeled.

Residence hall street addresses are available here.

Student groups can request to reserve public areas in the residence halls and outdoors next to the buildings. Contact the center desk of each center for more information.

All residence centers have a recycling program. Each floor has containers to collect aluminum, glass, mixed paper, and plastics 1–7. These containers are located in the floor lounge or waste/recycle room on the floor. In all center lobbies, there are collection containers for recycling printer toner cartridges and household batteries. All residence centers have a student environmentalist called an "eco-rep" who is responsible for monitoring the program. If you would like more information or are interested in being involved, contact your residence hall student government (RHA). It is important for all residents to use the RPS recycling as we seek to minimize waste on campus.

Safety and Security

Because most Indiana University residence halls were built before 1980, some of their construction materials contain asbestos. Briscoe, Willkie, and Eigenmann have been renovated and are asbestos-free. Union Street Center and Spruce Hall are asbestos-free. Materials containing asbestos include floor tiles, linoleum, pipe insulation, and ceilings. These materials present no danger unless they are damaged. Puncturing these materials could cause a release of harmful fibers. Please don't insert bottle caps, hooks, nails, or do anything even slightly damaging to the material. If you notice any damage, please report it to your center desk.

While we encourage you to personalize your living space, the safety of everyone in the residence halls must come first. Combustible materials used for decorations and displays present a serious fire hazard.

To prevent fires:

  • All window treatments (draperies or blinds) provided are flame retardant and should not be replaced without prior authorization.
  • Do not overload electrical circuits. Decorations must adhere to the standards applied to all electrical equipment and should not be left on when unattended.
  • Do not store or use flammable liquids (with the exception of sealed containers not exceeding an eight-ounce capacity). 
  • Keep window surfaces at least 25 percent clear of all opaque materials (such as aluminum foil, posters, or signs) to assist firefighters in locating the source of any fire. 
  • Keep your room door free of flammable materials, particularly loose paper. Do not wrap or cover doors with flammable materials.
  • Leave hallway lights and exit signs on at all times.
  • Never block exits, hallways, circuit breaker panels, fire hose cabinets, or fire extinguishers with decorations or displays.
  • Never prop open any fire doors (doors leading to an enclosed stairwell).
  • Place no materials over exit signs, fire doors, smoke detectors, sprinklers, or electrical light fixtures, including those in student rooms.
  • Treat all inside decorations using highly combustible materials with a flame-retardant solution. Displays, or decorations of paper, dried vegetation, corrugated cardboard, or light plastics not effectively flame-proofed must be limited to outdoor use and must not be used within 25 feet of any building.
  • Use no halogen lamps or lights. 
  • Use only insulated, heavy-duty cord, 14- or 12-gauge wire on GFl receptacles in setting up displays. Use no bare conductors. Do not plug one cord into another.

Each residence hall and apartment building on the IU Bloomington campus has emergency procedures for managing fires, tornadoes, bomb threats or explosions, releases of civil disturbances, earthquakes, and toxic substances. Staff members have been trained to direct and assist residents during these emergencies. All students must be familiar with the designated assembly areas for their residence halls. Students who do not evacuate to these assembly areas during an emergency may face university disciplinary action.

In the event of a bomb threat, explosion, release of a toxic substance, civil disturbance, or earthquake, staff will notify residents and direct them to a safe location. Also, check the Bloomington Campus Emergency Preparedness website. You may register online to receive text alerts from the university's IU Notify system.

Telephones used to call residents to get into the buildings or to get help in the event of an emergency are immediately outside the main entrances to most residence halls and apartment buildings. To contact IUPD from these phones or any phone on campus, dial 9-911 or 911.

Fire drills are conducted as required by the International Fire Code that was adopted by the state of Indiana. The frequency of drills is based on the type of occupancy of a building. In campus housing, drills are required four times a year. These required drills will occur during the months of September, November, February, and April. You are required by law to evacuate a building whenever you hear a fire alarm.

See your RA or CM for specific fire evacuation instructions. Anyone discovering a fire should activate the nearest fire pull station and dial 9-911 or 911.

During a fire drill or alarm:

  • Close and lock your room door.
  • Exit the building, in an orderly manner, through the nearest smoke-clear stairwell. Never use an elevator during an evacuation.
  • If exits are unavailable or inaccessible due to heat or smoke:
    • Close the door and use wet towels or other cloth items to seal the door.
    • Listen for instructions from rescuers.
    • Should air in the room become unbreathable, open or break out the top windowpane and open the bottom of the window approximately four inches. Cover yourself with a wet sheet or blanket and seal off breathing space at the bottom of the window. 
    • Wave a towel or sheet in front of the window to gain attention.
  • Once outside, go to your designated assembly area and wait for further instructions.
  • Wear or gather clothing suitable for the weather if time allows.

If a resident or guest requires immediate medical attention, dial 9-911 or 911. You should also notify the nearest CM, center desk, or RA. Residence hall staff members are not permitted to transport students to the hospital.

If you encounter a safety problem (e.g., broken doors or windows) or a disturbance in a residence hall or apartment building, call the center desk. For fire or injury, call IUPD at 9-911 or 911.

All student rooms have a smoke detector in them. If the smoke detector in your room continues to beep, notify the center desk. Smoke detectors should not be tampered with. Briscoe, Eigenmann, Spruce, Union Street Center, and Willkie have sprinkler heads in the student rooms. If your room has a sprinkler, do not tamper with it. You are also prohibited from hanging anything from the sprinkler heads.

If severe weather hits the area, residents will be warned by civil defense sirens, local radio and television stations, or IU-Notify.

Here's what to do:

  • A tornado warning indicates a tornado has been sighted in the area. Be prepared to move to the nearest designated internal assembly area in your building.
  • A tornado watch indicates conditions necessary for a tornado exist. During a watch, pay attention to radio and TV for additional information.
  • If the civil defense, radio, or TV sirens sound, this indicates a tornado has been sighted in Monroe County, go immediately to the nearest designated internal assembly area and wait for instructions from staff.
  • In general, during a tornado warning or watch, never pull a fire alarm.
  • Safe locations include interior hallways and interior restrooms designated as safe assembly areas on residential floors. In larger public areas, staff members will direct people to locations constructed of interior walls and are away from glass doors and windows.

Everyone should stay:

  • Away from exterior walls, doors, and windows, including stairwells, lounges, and lobbies. 
  • In the building in a safe area.
  • Off elevators.

To better ensure the safety and security of our buildings and our residents, many entrances to our residence halls are monitored by video cameras. In rare cases, video cameras will be used in other internal public areas if it is believed they will help promote the safety of our residents.