This Addendum is between you and IU Residential Programs & Services (“RPS”) on behalf of The Trustees of Indiana University (the “University;” collectively the “parties”). Your acceptance of the terms of this Addendum is indicated by electronic submission of this Addendum. If you are under 18 years of age, this Addendum will not be effective unless your parent or guardian agrees to its terms via electronic submission.
The parties entered into the Housing Contract prior to the execution date of this Addendum, and the parties now agree to amend the Housing Contract on the terms and conditions set forth in this Addendum, in consideration of the obligations set forth in the existing Housing Contract and the following consideration, the sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged.
The parties hereby agree as follows:
- The RPS Rules and Regulations have been updated to specifically include a section related to COVID-19, and are incorporated by reference into your Housing Contract (see Housing Contract paragraph 40). The revised terms are designed to protect the health and safety of our students and minimize the potential spread of viruses within our community.
- RPS will implement intensive cleaning protocols to address COVID-19 or other public health emergencies in the interest of minimizing the spread of disease, and will reinforce personal responsibilities to promote campus community health and safety. RPS will educate and inform residential students on appropriate cleaning protocols within their assigned Unit and shared spaces to reduce the spread of COVID-19 within residence halls.
- If you are required to self-quarantine or self-isolate, or if the University needs to de-densify the residence hall to which you are assigned, you agree to relocate to alternative housing identified by the University.
- In the event you must medically withdraw from the University for reasons related to COVID-19 infection, RPS agrees to waive the breakage fee associated with terminating the Housing Contract early, so long as IU’s medical withdrawal process is completed and approved.
- Paragraph 1 of the Housing Contract is replaced with the following: The Contract Start Date means the earlier of the date you move in, if you have arranged for early arrival, or August 9, 2020. You will have the opportunity to select a time and date between August 9, 2020 and August 20, 2020 for your move-in. Housing costs and fees are fixed and will not be prorated or otherwise refunded based on the selected date of your move-in or due to the University’s revised academic calendar.
- Paragraph 2 of the Housing Contract is updated as follows: The Contract End Date remains the same; however, you are required to vacate your assigned Unit no later than November 25, 2020 ahead of the Thanksgiving break period, as you will conclude the remainder of the fall semester remotely, per the University’s revised academic calendar.
- Paragraph 18 is updated to include the following: If your circumstances have changed since you first signed your Housing Contract due to COVID-19 and you have determined that living on campus is no longer feasible for you, you may cancel your Housing Contract by submitting a residency exemption form if you are a first year student, and you may cancel your housing contract if you are a Continuing Resident or First Time Resident not subject to the IUB residency requirement. If your plans have changed due to COVID-19 and you will not be attending Indiana University Bloomington, please cancel your Housing Contract. So long as you submit your residency exemption form or cancel your Housing Contract by July 20, 2020, you will not be assessed any cancellation fees. If you submit your residency exemption form or cancellation past this date, you will be assessed cancellation fees in accordance with paragraph 39 of the Housing Contract.
- Paragraph 34 of the Housing Contract is updated as follows: In limited circumstances, the University will allow students to remain on campus past November 25, 2020 as follows:
- Intersession 1: November 26, 2020–December 20, 2020
- Winter Break: December 21, 2020–January 3, 2021
* Note: If any services are provided during this time, they will be extremely limited.
- Intersession 2: January 4, 2021–February 3, 2021
For Residents who receive approval to remain on campus for any Intersession period and/or the Winter Break period, Residents will be charged a fixed cost, flat rate determined by the University. The Resident will be charged this rate through a separate billing process.
If you wish to remain in on-campus housing later than November 25, 2020, you must submit a petition online at least 10 days prior to that date. Your petition must be approved and such approval is at the sole discretion of the University. Failure to submit your petition online within this timeframe may result in denial of your petition. RPS reserves the right to temporarily change your housing assignment during any Intersession or Winter Break period.
- You will have the opportunity to select a time and date between February 3, 2021 and February 7, 2021 for your move-in prior to the start of on-campus classes for the spring semester, per the University’s revised academic calendar. Housing costs and fees are fixed and will not be prorated or otherwise refunded based on the selected date of your assigned move-in or due to the University’s revised academic calendar.
- Paragraph 36 of the Housing Contract is updated as follows: The University may choose not to refund any portion of the housing fees paid if the Resident is required to vacate or relocate pursuant to any emergency or exigent circumstances and the University determines that the Resident received the substantial benefit of this agreement. Exigent circumstances include, but are not limited to, University decisions related to community health and safety, including those related to COVID-19 or other public health or safety emergencies. These determinations will be made by the University in its sole discretion.
- Acknowledgment, Assumption of Risk, and Hold Harmless: You understand that by residing in RPS housing, you are assuming the risks associated with communal living and, as in any shared living environment, those risks include potential exposure to contagious viruses, including COVID-19. You agree to release and fully discharge the Trustees of Indiana University, its agents, and employees from any and all damages, liability, claims, expenses (including attorney’s fees), or losses (collectively, “Claims”) related in any way to your use of space within RPS Housing, including those related to the potential or actual exposure to contagious viruses like COVID-19, and to indemnify and hold harmless the University, its agents, and employees from any Claims related in any way to your breach of the terms and conditions of your Housing Contract and/or this Addendum, or a breach by any third party, including, but not limited to other residents, of an applicable Housing Contract and/or this Addendum.
- If my child is under 18:
- I, as the parent or legal guardian, acknowledge and agree to the updated terms contained in this Addendum, as well as the updated terms of the RPS Rules and Regulations, including those specifically related to COVID-19, on behalf of my child.
- Acknowledgment, Assumption of Risk, and Hold Harmless: I understand that by my child residing in RPS housing, I, on behalf of my child, am assuming the risks associated with communal living and, as in any shared living environment, those risks include potential exposure to contagious viruses, including COVID-19. I, on behalf of my child, hereby agree to release and fully discharge the Trustees of Indiana University, its agents, and employees from any and all damages, liability, claims, expenses (including attorney’s fees), or loss (collectively, “Claims”) related in any way to my child’s use of space within RPS Housing, including those related to the potential or actual exposure to contagious viruses like COVID-19, that may be brought by me or my child, and to indemnify and hold harmless the University its agents, and employees from any Claims related in any way to my child’s breach of the terms and conditions of the Housing Contract and/or this Addendum, or a breach by any third party, including, but not limited to other residents, of an applicable Housing Contract and/or Addendum.
- By completing and submitting this Addendum, I understand that I am binding not only myself and my child, but also the successors, heirs, representatives, administrators, and assigns of myself and my child.
- All of the provisions in the Housing Contract remain in full effect except as indicated in this Addendum. All defined terms in the Housing Contract retain their same meaning in this Addendum unless otherwise specified. To the extent there is a conflict between the terms of the Housing Contract and the terms of this Addendum, the terms of this Addendum govern.