You are eligible to request an exemption from the residency policy if you fit in one of the categories below. Remember, if you meet any of the following criteria, you still must submit a request for exemption.
- You live with a parent or legal guardian within a 25-mile radius of Bloomington.
- You are a transfer student entering your first semester of study at the Bloomington campus and have a minimum of 15 credit hours from another accredited university, college, or IU campus that will be transferred and accepted by IU Bloomington. Please note, Advanced Placement (AP) credits do not count toward the 15 credit hour requirement.
- You are a part-time student enrolled in less than 12 credit hours each semester of your first year.
- You will be 21 years of age before the start of your first semester at IU Bloomington.
- You are married or have children.
- You are a member of a recognized self-governing student organization (ie fraternity/sorority) and will reside in the student organization facility. Proof of residency in the facility is required.
We will consider requests for exemptions for special circumstances (e.g., COVID-19, financial, medical, religious, etc.) on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE: You must submit a housing contract only if requesting an exemption due to special circumstances. This is to establish your housing priority date for assignment purposes in the event your request is denied by the review committee. If your request is approved, the $200 application fee will be refunded.